Whiteley Village Cricket Club was founded in 1919 to provide a sporting amenity for resident Whiteley Village employees.
Whiteley Village was built between 1911 and 1917 on the 225-acre Burhill Estate between Weybridge, Walton-on-Thames and Cobham. It was funded by a £1 million bequest from William Whiteley, owner of the famous Bayswater department store, to provide homes for the elderly of limited means. It is owned and administered by the Whiteley Homes Trust, a registered charity, and consists of more than three hundred listed buildings which together form an important collection of “Arts and Crafts” style architecture.
Land was set aside on the north end of the estate to provide two full-sized pitches for the Cricket Club. A thatched pavilion, which is believed to be a listed building, was also constructed at the corner of North Avenue and Combe Lane. The club bar and changing rooms have now been relocated to adjacent buildings on Combe Lane.
Other than in WWII, when the grounds were used to grow vegetables, cricket has been played there every summer. After WWII, the requirement for playing members to comprise wholly or mainly Whiteley Village employees was relaxed. The club became independent of the village and properly constituted as a sports club. It played an attractive list of friendly matches against both local clubs and wandering sides from inner London.
In the mid-1960s, the Club joined what became the Morrant Wey Valley League. Its heyday was in the 1970s, when it was a regular participant in the later stages of the Haig Cup (National Village Cup), reaching the quarter-finals in 1974 (played before a crowd of over 500 spectators), the last 16 in 1978 and the Surrey Group final in 1975.