First of all we hope you, your friends and families are safe and well and our thoughts are with all of those from the club and its community who have been directly affected by the virus.
With regards to the cricket club, we apologise for the lack of communication but as we’re sure you will appreciate it has been a complicated situation to manage and there have been a lot of things to discuss/sort out.
Unfortunately it is still impossible to say what the cricket season will look like and when we may be able to play and train together, however we are grateful to Matt, our groundsman, who has continued to maintain the grounds for us (which incidentally are looking fantastic) so that we will be ready for action as soon as the lockdown requirements have eased. Many of you who follow the ECB will be aware that they have recently confirmed the continued suspension of professional cricket until the 1st July and the indefinite cessation of recreational cricket which covers our games. The latest ECB announcements can be found using the following links:
We will continue to monitor the situation and hope that we will all get the opportunity to play some cricket later this summer. This also applies to our colts’ cricket where the current league proposal is for the season to start later if at all possible with any matches played to be friendlies and run throughout the summer holidays to September.
Some of you have asked whether you can use the club grounds and nets as part of your daily exercise regime. Unfortunately Whiteley Village Trust are restricting access to essential workers only and therefore, for the time being anyway, our members are not able to access the site. We are however currently in discussions with the Trust to see what controls we could put in place to allow us to use our space and meet social distancing guidelines. More details on this to follow.
The committee and other members are working hard to figure out the best way to minimise the financial impact the pandemic has on the club. We are considering a number of different options including ECB support schemes, pro-rata of memberships and/or launching of an appeal for donations via a GoFundMe page as suggested in the ECB guidelines. We hope to have further information on this soon. In the meantime, as a first step, we have extended everyone’s 2019 membership to run until the 6th June 2020 and will be reviewing the situation regularly as we get a clearer idea of what’s to come.
Please also note it is our intention to hold our AGM via a Zoom link on the evening of Tuesday 19th May. Details for joining will be sent out under separate cover.
Obviously this is a very frustrating time for everybody, but we have no choice but to sit this one out and support each other as best we can.
We will be in touch again soon.